Tuesday 10 June 2014

I really don't like walking

Walking 1008 kilometres is not something I thought I would ever do. I'm not a big fan of walking. In fact, I really don't like it.  

Back home in Melbourne, I would make the most convulted tram connections to avoid walking a few blocks. Any chance to take a taxi instead of walking those last twenty minutes home, I would take.  I have been known to stay at home at night if going out meant a walk too far.  

So why, now, am I and my husband Nick walking an ancient pilgrimage trail to Rome? 
(Nick's big boots, my bossy ones.)

To be honest, I'm not really not sure how this happened. We were planning a trip to Europe, and briefly (I mean a five minute conversation) discussed walking the Camino Santiago in Spain. Soon after, we heard about the Via Francigena as a less travelled, but equally rewarding, alternative. Suddenly this was the backbone of our Europe trip and the focus of our year of travelling.

It's not necessarily for religious purposes, but may border on the spiritual, or at least wanting to consider a different way of living, for the time being at least.

I am a notorious rusher: rushing around, hurrying, always having too much on the go, taking-on too much stuff, doing things fast, but not necessarily thoroughly.

This is my attempt to slow down for awhile, to smell the proverbial roses and to be a bit more in the moment. Also, I could afford to lose a few kilos.

I don't expect it to be easy.  On our first practice hike outside Melbourne, a reasonable incline had me unable to talk to the others for about an hour, fighting back tears as I struggled to get to the top with an aching hip and weighed down shoulders.  Our hiking buddy Antony (big shout out) pulled Nick aside and said "Are you sure you are going to do this walk. Liz REALLY doesn't like hiking!?"

(Our first practice hike- so relieved it was over)

Our days will range from 12 to 32 kilometres.  We have discovered that I am terrible on the uphill, and Nick is slow on the downhill, so all-round we will be plodding.  We will stay in monasteries, refuges, hostels, B&Bs and anywhere else we can find.  We will eat heaps of pasta, cured meat and cheese.  We will get lost, and angry, and probably cry a bit (or a lot).  But hopefully we will meet wonderful people, see amazing sights, test ourselves, and find out new things about ourselves and each other.

So, this blog will be the account of our slow progress towards Rome, and some thoughts, descriptions and musings on the journey so far.  I hope you enjoy following us on the journey.

(On our practice walk in the Swiss Alps)

8 comments:

  1. I have a friend who did one of the pilgrimages many years ago now. She said it was one of the hardest things she ever did, and she ended up discarding a lot of what she was carrying along the way. She also said it was the most rewarding thing. Ange said she would walk for portions with people and then either she would drop behind or they would. Blisters galore, but she also said along the way there are people who honour the pilgrimage and provide food and accomodation. Have a great time, be inspired, and we shall see you both at the other side - very different people I would imagine! hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Break a leg guys... Actually don't do that, but you know what I mean! Have fun and travel well. I am infinitely jealous and wish I could be there with you! Speak soon! xxx Antony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! Am very jealous at so many levels! Will be popping in to watch how you are going, and to enjoy your marvellous writing
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz, your trip is going to be awesome. If you still remember me I was your housemate about a billion years ago. Will be traveling by car around the alps this summer. let me know if you want company for a few hikes. Happy to curse with you, also not a big walking fan ;) also if you need any info, let me know! If you need a place to stay in Holland, we might have a tiny couch :) have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz
    Wow - you knew that this would be tough and challenging, but perhaps not as quickly and with so much grief and pain! I guess the good thing is that you chose to have this life changing experience in beautiful and interesting surroundings... helps to balance out the difficulties.
    Anyway, very impressed with your perserverance - I would have beenonthat train way earlier! Good on you, and keep up the beautiful writing and reflections. Inspirational. I am sure Nicks grandma would think the same and be so proud of you both!
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz and Nick!
    I just heard about your great blog. Wow! The pain! Some are born in pain, some have it thrust upon them, some seem to choose it for themselves. Am praying for you both every day. Now that I can see and feel, I can pray with compassion and insight.
    Sorry Nick about your wonderful granny, I know you will really miss her.
    I hope you enjoy the rest of the trip. Remember the famous saying, a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step .....but thankfully ends with the last one. (Collected minims of Confuse-us).
    Keep writing.
    Kon, Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are amazing! This is real character building stuff. Keep pushing to the top of that slushy mountain. Don;t give up, you will have such wonderful memories all your life. Even if there might be some recurring nightmares thrown in.
    I will be praying even more fervently and intelligently now: "Lord, may their pizzas be hot, their beer cold, their pants dry and their beds warm.May their blisters heal quickly, soothe their sunburn faces and may they humbly massage each others feet. Protect them from perving cyclists and help them to jump that extra foot over puddles. Lead them through the darkest valleys to the places with the best coffee, croissants and full fridges. Lord walk ahead of them I pray." Amen
    Looking forward to the next blog.
    Kon, Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Liz what's up? It's been two weeks and you haven't written. You should have finished by now and given us a great wrap -up. Maybe you have been exhausted and slept for two weeks. Or did you find that wonderful mountain monastery with monks who make the best beer and best pizza, and you decided to stay, but it is an electronic communications black hole. .....or......or.....(sigh) you just don't care about your faithful readers.
    C'mon blogger, blog. And Nick, post some more of your wonderful photos please.
    Your adoring fan in Sydney,
    Kon

    ReplyDelete